People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do. -Apple
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription to raagabox has been successful.
Raja Mehdi Ali Khan
Raja Mehdi Ali Khan(1928 - 29th July, 1966) was an Indian poet, writer and lyricist., born at Jhelum District of Pakistan. Mehdi Ali lost his father when he was four. His mother Hebay Saheba who was the sister of Maulana Zafar Ali Khan, got him educated in his early years. Muhammad Iqbal acknowledged Hebay Saheba as a leading Urdu poet.
As he grew up, Mehdi Ali started working as a writer at the All India Radio, Delhi. Here he got acquainted with Saadat Hasan Manto. Manto, who was active in the Hindi film industry, requested Ashok Kumar to give Mehdi Ali some work. He soon got a film called Aath Din (1946) in which he not only wrote dialogues but also acted. Sashadhar Mukherjee, one of the partners in Filmistan Studio, gave Mehdi Ali a chance to write lyrics for his film, Do Bhai (1947). Songs from the film such as "Mera Sunder Sapna" and "Yaad Karoge" became instant hits.
In 1947, Mehdi and his wife Tahira decided to stay in India instead of migrating to Pakistan. They came to this decision despite the wave of riots plaguing the country. In 1948, his patriotism manifested in his songs, "Watan Ki Raah Mein" and "Todi Todi Bachche", which were used in the film Shaheed.
He worked with music composers including Sachin Dev Burman, Iqbal Qureshi, Babul, S. Mohinder, Chic Chocolate, and Rono Mukherjee. He also wrote songs for C. Ramchandra, Datta Naik ("Sare Jahan Se Acha Hindustan Hamara") and O. P. Nayyar ("Main Pyar Ka Rahi Hoon").
He formed a successful partnership with Madan Mohan which began with Madhosh in 1951. It was also Madan Mohan third film as a music director. The two shared a great rapport and their later collaborations in films such as Anpadh, Mera Saaya, Woh Kaun Thi?, Neela Akash, Dulhan Ek Raat Ki, Anita and Nawab Siraj-ud-Daulah proved to be massive hits. His song Lag Jaa Gale from Woh Kaun Thi? was named among the top ten all-time favorites in film history to be "retired" from Antakshari on Zee TV
Films & Popular Songs :
1. Mera sundar sapna beet gaya (Do Bhai)
2. Meri yaad me tum na aansoo bahaana (Madhosh)
3. Raat sard sard hai (Jaali Note)
4. Poochho na hume (Mitti Me Sona)
5. Aap yuhin agar hum se milte rahe(Ek Musafir Ek Haseena)
6. Maye pyar ka raahi hoon (Ek Musafir Ek Haseena)
7. Aap ki nazron ne samjha (Anpadh)
8. Hai isi me pyar ki aabroo (Anpadh)
9. Agar mujhse mohabbat hai (Aap Ki Parchhaiyan)
10. Maye nigaahen tere chehre se (Aap Ki Parchhaiyan)
11. Jo hum ne dastaan apni sunaai (Woh Kaun Thi)
12. Lag ja gale ke phir ye (Woh Kaun Thi)
13. Naina barse rimjhim (Woh Kaun Thi)
14. Aakhri geet mohabbat ka (Neela Akaash)
15. Tere paas aa ke mera waqt (Neela Akaash)
16. Naino me badra chhaye (Mera Saaya)
17. Tu jahan jahan chalega (Mera Saaya)
18. Aap ke paheloo me aa kar ro diye (Mera Saaya)
19. Jhumka gira re (Mera Saaya)
20. Sapno me agar mere tum aao (Dulhan Ek Raat i)
21. Kayee din se ji hai bekal (Dulhan Ek Raat Ki)
22. Ek haseen sham ko (Dulhan Ek Raat Ki)
23. Tere Bin sawaan kaise beeta (Jab Yaad Kisi Ki Aati Hai)
24. Aari o shokh kaliyion muskuraa dena (Jab Yaad Kisi Ki Aati Hai)
25. Akela hoon maye humsafar dhoondta hoon (Jaal)
26. Tum bin jeevan kaise beeta poochho mere dil se (Anita)